Distributions from owner of int. (non-ADR)?

People Reviews

I’ve just learned that my father had carried a life insurance policy and in 2002, Principal life Ins. sent out a check for Distributions from owner of int. (non-adr).I was told that since I’m the listed benificary (and only survivor) that it is mine. What is this pay-out? He started the policy in the late 60’s and passed away in 1993. Also, wouldnt the ins. comp. be obligated for the full death benifits since the policy was in effect when he died. I know squat about life insurance and New York State Unclaimed funds wont tell me anything till they verify who I am. (understandably) The suspense is just driving my wife,kids,and my self nuts. Thank You

The check you are getting is not the payout of the insurance policy. That likely already got paid out in 1993.
The check you are getting is likely for your share of a de-mutualization that Principal and a number of other insurers went thorugh years ago. Mutual insurers are owned by their policyholders. Demutualization is the proces by which they convert from policyholder owned to investor owned. The policy holders are supposed to get paid out for their ownership stake in the company.
The money from the actual insurance policy was likely paid out in 1993 and you should have gotten some of that if you were the beneficiary.
But the insurance company probably didn’t know where you were when they had to pay out the dividends due policyholders (or their survivors) from the demutualization. Most of that money went to the unclaimed fund bureaus that each state has.
My mom just got a check from John Hanc̫o̫ςκ from their demutalization in the 1990s that went unclaimed until I found it for her.
That’s very likely what this is.

was he receiving payments from this every month, quarter, etc? if so, it sounds like he may have an annuity of some sort. you may want to check his bank records to verify this. if he was making payments, then more than likely it would have been a life insurance policy. you can call the insurance company to verify if the policy was active when he passed – they should be able to tell you at least that without verification. also, if you are listed as his executor/administrator, you can provide the company with legal documentation to verify that. once they can verify that you are authorized to receive the information then they should be able to tell you how the distributions were paid out on the policy.

Non Adr

Hard to say – the company knows what the polciy amount is for, so you’ll have to ask them.

If this is a whole life policy, or variant thereof, AND he borrowed money against it, you would get the face value of the policy less the borrowed amount.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awq6b

When your father died, the insurance company should have been notified. How were they supposed to know that he died? Contact them and ask this question.

Answer 6

i think everyone is full of it

What our team says

Distributions from owner of int. (non-ADR)?

If you’re the owner of a foreign corporation that doesn’t have an American Depositary Receipt (ADR), you may wonder how you can distribute your company’s stock. Read on to learn more about distributions from owners of international companies.

What is an ADR?

An ADR is a type of security that represents ownership in a foreign company. ADRs are traded on U.S. exchanges and are subject to U.S. regulation.

ADRs were created to make it easier for U.S. investors to buy and sell shares of foreign companies. They are also designed to provide greater liquidity and to reduce the risk associated with investing in foreign companies.

Some of the benefits of investing in ADRs include:

-Diversification: By investing in ADRs, you can add foreign companies to your portfolio, which can help diversify your investment risk.

-Liquidity: ADRs are traded on U.S. exchanges, which provides greater liquidity than if you were to invest directly in the foreign company’s stock.

-Regulation: ADRs are subject to U.S. regulations, which may provide greater protection for investors than if they were to invest directly in the foreign company’s stock.

What is an international distribution?

An international distribution is a distribution of securities by an issuer that is not a domestic issuer. In order to be considered an international distribution, the issuer must be organized or incorporated under the laws of a foreign country. The term “international distribution” includes any offer or sale of securities that is made in reliance on Regulation S of the Securities Act of 1933.

There are a few key things to keep in mind when it comes to international distributions. First, the offering must be registered with the SEC in order to comply with U.S. securities laws. Second, because these offerings are not subject to the same reporting requirements as domestic offerings, it is important to do your research and due diligence on the issuing company before investing. Finally, it is important to be aware of the risks involved in investing in international companies, including currency risk and political/economic risk.

If you’re considering investing in an international distribution, make sure you understand the risks involved and do your homework on the issuing company. With a little research and caution, international distributions can be a great way to diversify your portfolio and potentially earn higher returns.

How to get distributions from an owner of int. (non-ADR)

If you’re the owner of an international non-ADR stock, you may be wondering how to get distributions from your investment. Here’s what you need to know.

First, you’ll need to check with your broker to see if they offer international distribution services. If not, you may have to transfer your investment to a broker that does.

Once you’ve found a broker that can help you, you’ll need to fill out some paperwork. This will include things like your Social Security number and other identifying information.

Once the paperwork is complete, you’ll need to provide instructions on where the distributions should be sent. This can be done via a bank transfer or by mailing a check.

Finally, it’s important to remember that distributions from an international non-ADR stock may be subject to taxes in both the United States and the country where the stock is located. Be sure to consult with a tax advisor to ensure that you comply with all applicable laws.


If you are the owner of a foreign (non-U.S.) corporation that files an IRS Form 5471, you may have to file a U.S. tax return and pay taxes on any distributions you receive from the corporation. This is because the IRS considers such distributions to be “effectively connected” with a U.S. trade or business.

Fortunately, there are some ways to reduce or avoid this tax liability. For example, if you can show that the distribution is related to the active conduct of a foreign trade or business, it may not be subject to U.S. taxation. Alternatively, you may be able to take advantage of a treaty provision that exempts certain types of income from U.S. taxation.

If you are subject to U.S. taxation on your distributions from a foreign corporation, you will need to file a Form 1040 and pay taxes at ordinary income tax rates on the amount of the distribution that exceeds your basis in the stock of the corporation. You will also need to file Form 5471 and attach it to your tax return.


Assuming the distribution is from the owner of an international non-ADR common stock, the following would apply:

• The distribution would be considered a foreign personal holding company income (FPHCI) dividend and would be subject to a 30% withholding tax.

• The distribution would be treated as a foreign source income and would not be eligible for the dividends received deduction.

• The distribution would be considered a passive income and would not be subject to the active business income tax rate.

Answer Prime

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top