If you are encountering the Windows Update Error 80072EFE, it means that your computer is unable to connect to the Windows Update servers. This error can occur due to various reasons, such as network connectivity issues, firewall settings, or corrupted system files.
Here are some steps you can take to fix the Windows Update Error 80072EFE:
1. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet and that your network connection is stable. You can try resetting your router or modem to see if that resolves the issue.
2. Disable your firewall: Sometimes, your firewall settings can prevent your computer from connecting to the Windows Update servers. Try disabling your firewall temporarily and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you can add an exception for Windows Update in your firewall settings.
3. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can help diagnose and fix issues with Windows Update. To run the troubleshooter, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update.
4. Reset the Windows Update components: If the above steps do not work, you can try resetting the Windows Update components. To do this, open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following commands:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Perform a system restore: If none of the above steps work, you can try performing a system restore to a point before the error occurred. This will revert your system settings to a previous state and may resolve the issue.
In conclusion, the Windows Update Error 80072EFE can be frustrating, but there are several steps you can take to fix it. Try the above solutions one by one until you find one that works for you.ConclusionI hope these steps were helpful in resolving the Windows Update Error 80072EFE. If you continue to experience issues, don’t hesitate to seek further assistance from a technical support professional. Keeping your computer up to date is important for security and performance, so it’s worth taking the time to troubleshoot any issues with Windows Update.