The IBDP’s reputation as an ardent curriculum sacres off students before even entering it. IBDP is designed for such students who wish to earn a globally recognized diploma thus making it different and a little difficult from other study programs.
Striving for studies in the IBDP is important for students especially while entering the program, or learning the commands for each subject, or doing a whole lot of homework before the submission date. Not every student can endure this or strive through this phase, thus needing a motivation session or just relaxing and enjoying a break from studies. Resuming studies after a break can provide a fresh perspective to learn.
If one has found this article, then the probability is one is taking life too seriously and thinks that there is no life other than the IBDP. In this case, one just needs to relax a little and read further for helpful tips on surviving the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
- Understanding The IBDP curriculum thoroughly
- Completing CAS expeditiously
- Staying organized and making notes
- Completing homework as soon as possible
- Learning the command terms for each subject as early as possible
- Completing the Extended Essay as soon as possible
- Make the most out of TOK lessons and understand TOK thoroughly
- Revising topics after they are taught
- Reaching out to teachers for help
1.Understanding The IBDP curriculum thoroughly
The IBDP’s reputation as an ardent curriculum sacres off students while entering the program as it is designed for such students who wish to earn a globally recognized diploma thus making it different and a little difficult from other study programs. One should gain complete knowledge about the program from IB teachers, mentors, or co-ordinates who are experienced in the program. Points to understand the IBDP thoroughly :
- Asking questions and knowing every detail.
- Learning more about the program from its official website.
- Understanding the subjects groups, gaining an insight on TOKs, CAS and the extended esaays.
2.Completing CAS expeditiously
The CAS (Creativity, Activity, and Service) is one of the three essentials which requires a total of 150 CAS hours, based on creativity, activity, and service. It is a break from the academic part of the curriculum, which relieves stress, allowing students to showcase their talent and creativity. It is better to complete as soon as possible to focus later on the academic part later which is also essential. An activity creatively active weekend, tutoring younger students, joining any social service or volunteering for any noble cause, or even planting trees counts as a CAS activity.
3.Staying organized and making notes
Organizing all the required study materials helps in saving time as one can access the study materials easily. If one likes to study online, one should carry essentials. Things one might need while studying :
- Folders and Binders to organize notes.
- Notepad or notebooks to make notes.
- A pouch to carry all the essential stationeries.
- Planner to check the schedule.
- Laptop and all the necessary carry ons.
- Headphones if one likes to study through online videos, as one needs to maintain silence in the library.
- Water bottle, as hydration is must.
4.Completing homework as soon as possible
Completing the homework on the same day it was assigned will be easier to complete as it remains fresh in the memory. It is easy to retain maximum information if revised within 24 hours after it is taught, thus making it quicker to complete homework and one might be able to perform other activities.
5.Learning the command terms for each subject as early as possible
There are various assessments through which the students are graded or the terminology which one needs to keep in mind for scoring better in a subject. As the scoring system is different for the IBDP, one needs to learn the command terms or assessment criteria more thoroughly and as quickly as possible.
6.Completing the Extended Essay as soon as possible
Completing the Extended Essay as soon as possible may provide an opportunity for the student to get a teacher’s feedback to improve and perform better. It is an intimidating process for many students to write a 4000-word essay without guidance, thus completing it early may help in scoring well.
7.Make the most out of TOK lessons and understand TOK thoroughly
TOK lessons tend to aim to give information about the nature of knowledge, areas of knowledge, and how to claim knowledge. Usually, the TOK is divided into two parts: 1) The written theoretical part, 2) Oral presentation and explanation of the same. The word count for a TOK Essay is usually between 1200-1600 words in length including the conceptual title. The title and the introductory part of the essay should be intriguing to grab the attention. The essay mainly includes the methods of acquiring knowledge and a thorough explanation of understanding. Below are a few tips to write a TOK Essay :
- To take cognizance of the arbitrary topics
- Selecting the topic and title prudently
- Attentively reading the essay’s instructions
- To take cognizance of the grading criteria and terminologies
- Conceptualizing ideas for the Essay title
- Presenting the point of view with open end conclusions
- Final check of the essay before the presentation
8.Revising topics after they are taught
Being consistent with learning practice is very important to keep it fresh in the memory. Every gap may lead to a lack in the subject as the undone part or chapter may pile up if not learned or revised on that given dedicated time. By doing something repeatedly, one can learn it quickly, so studying consistently can improve the brain’s capacity to retain information for a longer time. Attending extra classes can be a good time to revise what is already taught. Slacking and procrastinating may be enjoyable at that particular moment, but it may cause greater damage to the future and such habits create hindrances in becoming a responsible student or a person.
9.Reaching out to teachers for help
Young minds need proper guidance and mental support to stand against the different learning systems of the IBDP. Showing the students about real-life problems and making them strong mentally is a teacher’s way to guide students.
- Head Boy and Head Girl Speeches – A Student’s Top 10 Tips - October 18, 2022
- Best GCSE Maths Revision Websites - October 18, 2022
- How long does it take to hear back from a Master’s Application? - October 18, 2022