Learning Disability can be termed as a reduced ability to perceive or understand new or complicated information, learn a new skill, or comprehend any complex information. Learning Disability usually is detected from a young age and it also continues into adulthood as an individual grows. This disability can be coped up, so there is not to worry about much.
Usually, learning disabilities are caused by physical and mental trauma, family history and genetics, toxic environmental exposure from a young age, and many more. These learning disabilities can also be caused by any physical or psychological harm to the brain like an accident with a head injury, or mental torture.
Learning Disabilities affect a child’s reading, writing, learning, and processing of information. Learning Disabilities can be treated with the help of an expert who can help a child in studies, a therapist, with the help of medical science and medications, and much more. Below are a few ways to know if you have a Learning Disability :
- Understanding Learning Disability and knowing its symptoms
- Finding it difficult to concentrate and a disability to stay focused
- Finding it difficult to connect socially
- Disability to understand the basics which others are able to understand easily
- Feeling the need of consulting a health expert or psychologist
- By observing certain behavioral patterns and habits on a daily basis
- Being forgetful and neglecting studies
1. Understanding Learning Disability and knowing its symptoms
The first and foremost step is to understand Learning Disability and knowing its symptoms. Each person who develops a learning disability shows different symptoms and acts differently. The most important thing after discovering the learning disability is to know the core reason, which has affected a person and thus the person developed the disability. After knowing the reason the next step is to stop that or get out of such an atmosphere. Learning disability symptoms include :
- The brains cognitive functions slows down resulting in slow processing of information such as receiving, percieving, storing and responding.
- One may start facing problems like slow reading or a reading and writing disability altogether.
- One may face problems with numbers.
- One may face a problem of a reduced attention span.
- A complete cure is not possible in such disabilities as they are neurological problems but such problems can be managed and survived.
2. Finding it difficult to concentrate and a disability to stay focused
With the passage of time, one may find it difficult to stay focused on a task or able to concentrate on anything that one is doing like daily tasks which include brushing teeth, watching tv, or streaming anything on the screen, telling time as one cannot focus on wall clock or difficulty with recognizing numbers. One loses focus over basic things like :
- Organizing things or keeping things in order
- Recognizing people
- Problems regarding memory loss
- Difficulty regarding reading basic lines
3. Finding it difficult to connect socially
When one is unable to connect socially with friends and family or at any social event then it is a sign of a learning disability. One is unable to control emotions like anger, hatred, or even argues over little things. One is unable to understand what someone else is saying. Even in school, a student with a learning disability is unable to understand what is written in books, on the board, or what the teacher is conveying in the class. A child is unable to play with children of similar age, or unable to understand what fellow classmates or students are saying. All of these are symptoms of a learning disability.
4. Disability to understand the basics which others are able to understand easily
When a person forms a disability to understand the basics that others are able to understand easily is a symptom of a learning disability. Basic things include like :
- Being able to perform basic math calculations.
- Being able to read simple sentences.
- Difficulty in persuing what others are saying to an individual.
- Repetition of task due to memory loss.
- Gradual loss of percieving simple daily tasks.
5. Feeling the need of consulting a health expert or psychologist
Feeling the need of consulting a health expert or psychologist can be a sign of a learning disability. When a student or an individual lacks in performing basic tasks one feels a constant need of guidance for basic things which others are performing without help or guidance. Then in such a case, a person should definitely consult a specialist or health expert. A psychologist can help in improving :
- Improving behavioral patterns in public.
- Gaining a better grip over emotions.
- Teaching methods and techniques to cope up with daily activities.
6. By observing certain behavioral patterns and habits on a daily basis
By observing certain behavioral patterns and habits on a daily basis one can note that a person is facing a learning difficulty. Daily patterns include difficulty in organizing things, difficulty in buying things from a store, difficulty in remembering the way of doing certain things like driving or asking directions, or forgetting the routes which one uses daily or forgetting homework, chapters, or any important information in case of school-going students are all signs of a learning disability.
7. Being forgetful and neglecting studies
In the case of students or young children, the symptoms of a learning disability are being forgetful and neglecting studies. When a student starts neglecting his/her duties like doing homework, doing schoolwork, understanding information that the other students are able to perceive easily are all a sign of a learning disability. Basic three common learning disabilities include :
- ADHD( Attention-Deficit/ Hyper Disorder)