Developing an ability to learn quickly may come in handy in many tough times like when someone has to learn tonnes of information in a short period or learn a new skill for a newly obtained job opportunity or moving to a new unknown place where even the local language is different or even while shifting courses. There are many such times when one needs to learn something quickly or in a very short time, then in those times, having the ability to learn quickly is a blessing.
By doing something repeatedly, one can learn it quickly, so studying consistently can improve the brain’s capacity to retain information for a longer time. Lack of revision, focus, or occupancy of the brain with some other tasks may also lead to a decrease in the brain’s capacity to retain information. Making affirmative changes in lifestyle can lead to a healthier body and mind which leads to better concentration and focus thus making it easier and fast to learn anything in life. Below are a few tips to improve the ability to learn quickly :
- Being affirmative about learning and having a positive mindset
- Making handwritten notes
- Reading the information out loud
- Trying out mnemonic devices
- Teaching the information to someone else
- Turning a blind eye to distractions
- Testing out what one learned in time intervals
- Improving Sleep cycles
1.Being affirmative about learning and having a positive mindset
Being affirmative about learning and having a positive mindset is the first step or the crucial step to learning something. Once a person is affirmative about something, they are almost halfway done with the process. One should not compare oneself to others as every individual have different capabilities and potentials and has complete faith in self while telling self that one can do it. To achieve a positive mindset one can :
- Keeping the workspace or study space clean, leads to positive thoughts and vibes.
- Creating a study atmosphere suitable to one taste such as pasting positive slogans, planting indoor plants, decorating the study space to one liking to increase the time of study sessions.
2.Making handwritten notes
Making handwritten notes to learn something helps a lot in learning faster. Using different styles like making key point notes, understanding the information with flow charts, diagrams, pictures, graphs, or in any different manner than just reading it. One can use these different techniques in making handwritten notes like :
- Illustrating information into animations, diagrams, sketches can be visually appealing and tempting to be learned.
- Making timelines of the information if there are a lot of years to remember or for historic references.
- Using different tools like pencils, markers, highlighters, or pens to make more grasping notes.
- Pinning the notes or using colourful sticky notes right in front of the study place also helps in learning faster.
3.Reading the information out loud
Reading or reciting the information out loud makes it easier to remember the information for a longer period of time. One can read out loud the complete information, a specific sentence, or even difficult words that one cannot remember. This learning technique differs from person to person. But with the help of this technique, one can learn faster and remember it for a long period. By doing something repeatedly, one can learn it quickly, so studying consistently can improve the brain’s capacity to retain information for a longer time.
4.Trying out mnemonic devices
A mnemonic device also known as a memory device is a technique through which students can grasp, retain and revise the information. Making jingles, writing abbreviations, providing contextual references to the data, relating to other information are all different forms of mnemonic devices.
5.Teaching the information to someone else
One can increase the understanding of a topic or piece of information by teaching it to someone else and even remembering it for a longer time as it remains in a person’s memory. By teaching the information to someone else one can recall the information and explain it in a precise and clear manner can remember faster. While explaining it to someone else one should be clear about the topic with the self. One can do so by :
- Making more charts, diagrams, graphs to learn and then teaching the same to someone else.
- Listing down the key points first and then expanding them in-depth
- If there is no one available to teach one can re-teach the information to self.
6.Turning a blind eye to distractions
Distractions can be in any form like cell phones, social media, or even a person or an event. One can lessen the usage of a cell phone, or keep a distance for a short time from a certain person or a friend, who one thinks can be a distraction. Turning a complete blind eye to all sorts of distractions helps in saving time and being more focused towards the main goal for pulling an all-nighter that is studying.
7.Testing out what one learned in time intervals
Testing out what one learned in time intervals can be considered as a true test to check how much information has been retained by the student. Taking short quiz, self-testing, asking someone else to take a test, can be forms of skill testing.
8.Improving Sleep cycles
Resting is equally important to working hard. Fatigue can make a person sick and lessens the attention span of a person. Well rested body and mind can work better as much as double than an unrested body and mind. Making affirmative changes in lifestyle can lead to a healthier body and mind which leads to better concentration and focus thus making it easier and fast to learn anything in life. Taking power naps can also improve the learning ability of a person. Having a healthy sleep cycle of a minimum of 6 to a maximum of 8 hours can improve the learning and grasping capacity of the brain.
- Head Boy and Head Girl Speeches – A Student’s Top 10 Tips - October 18, 2022
- Best GCSE Maths Revision Websites - October 18, 2022
- How long does it take to hear back from a Master’s Application? - October 18, 2022